Welcome to Saint Mary Theological College & Ethio-American Cultural InstituteSaint Mary Theological College and Ethio-American Cultural Institute is a higher educational institute of the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church. It is physically located in Houston, Texas, but has a virtual campus offering comprehensive learning experiences to clergies and laymen. We offer a variety of courses ranging from Orthodox Theology, Counseling, Skill Development and Enhancement courses, Ethiopian Languages & Cultural studies. We simultaneously address questions of a spiritual, social service and cross-cultural nature.
While we share an affinity with Orthodox Theological Institutions, we also maintain an access policy by which we evaluate prospective students by their academic qualifications, past experience and accomplishments.
Saint Mary Theological College and Ethio-American Cultural Institute offers courses via technology, maximizing accessibility by removing the location and time barriers. Our online Distance Education courses and services are of the highest quality, and are delivered in a timely, student-oriented manner. Our teaching staff includes Theologians and scholars of the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church and other Oriental Orthodox Churches who hold different MA and PhD degrees from numerous highly recognized universities across the globe. Both students and instructors come from various backgrounds and include countries such as USA, Canada, UK, Europe, Africa and Australia. Our College allows students to be a part of an international academic community that has a diverse and energetic approach towards its Degree and Certificate programs.
We hope you will consider the Ethiopian Orthodox Theological College to be part of your academic and spiritual destination.
Our mission is to send out into the church, the nation and the world a steady stream of committed Christians, who will inculcate a Christian attitude in the people and communicate Christian life and faith to the contemporary world.
We run Oriental Orthodox Christian theological education and Ethio-American cultural studies. We help people develop the right and upright Culture there by becoming near and dear to God. We also promote inter-religious dialogues and ecumenical endeavors.
With God’s help and with the guidance of the Holy Spirit, the Saint Mary Theological College and Ethio-American Cultural Institute plans to be the premier center of the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Theological Studies and Ethio-American Cultural studies. Since the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church has a large number of followers and rich religious and cultural heritages, we expect this College to become a center of advanced Theological studies and research for the Oriental Orthodox Churches and the whole Christendom where students of other churches and traditions come for further studies and research.
To fulfill its Mission and Vision, the College has set forth the following objectives:
- To study the Bible and other religious literature with an understanding of the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church.
- To train qualified teachers of Religion and Morals who would interpret the Orthodox Christian faith in a way which would be more meaningful and acceptable to the contemporary man and society; and relate the Orthodox Christian faith to the problems of modern life, and would thereby meet the present day challenges to Religious faith and foundation of morals;
- To train missionaries and educators who would preach the Orthodox Christian faith throughout the nation and the entire world.
- To send out into the society educationally, spiritually and morally disciplined persons to guide their fellow human beings in realizing their moral responsibility and integrity in modern society, which is beset exclusively by the pursuit of material well-being and all its consequent anxiety, worry, and sense of insecurity.
- To help the Orthodox Christians understand and practice the faith in the particular historical and cultural context and should also help men face their own particular problems.
- To guide people in realizing their moral responsibility and integrity in life; and to undertake the ministry of social concern for and uplift of the poor and downtrodden, the hungry, the diseased and the illiterate. i.e. to help in the formation of healthy communities of morally sound citizens; to strengthen people in the values of their faith in order that they may fulfill their role in society;
- To help the community by providing various skill development and enhancement courses; and offering courses on Ethiopian languages and culture.
There is no news yet